FOOD AND HEALTH
Vaccination - Vaccination is the process of injecting traces of organism into the body to protect against a particular disease.
Antibiotics – Powerful medicines that fight bacterial infections.
Immunity - Ability of an organism to resist a particular infection.
Carbohydrates – Energy giving – Daily energy – Cereals, Sugar, Potato
Fats – Quick energy giving – Keep body warm – Ghee, Butter, Cheese
Protein – Body building – Growth and repair of cells – Milk, Meat, Pulses
Vitamins – Protective – Resistance from diseases – Fruits, Eggs.
Minerals – Protective – General healthy well being – Iron, Calcium, Iodine – Green Vegetables
Roughage – Dietary Fiber – Aids in digestion and bowel system– Cucumber, Corn, Fruits
CATEGORY OF DISEASES – Diseases are categorized as Communicable or Non Communicable.
COMMUNICABLE DISEASES - Caused by Protozoa, Bacteria, Virus and Fungi, when transferred from one organism or matter to another organism.
- Communicable and Non Contagious – Transferred from one organism to another but not directly.
- Protozoan Diseases
- Dengue – Fever transmitted by mosquito bite of infected Aedes mosquito.
- Malaria – Fever transmitted by mosquito bite of infected Anopheles mosquito.
- Chikungunya – Fever transmitted by mosquito bite of infected Yellow fever mosquito.
- Amoebic dysentery – Stomach infection transmitted by contaminated food, drink.
- Bacterial Diseases – Treated with Antibiotics
- Typhoid – Fever with red spots on chest transmitted by contaminated food, drink
- Cholera – Infection of small intestine transmitted by contaminated water.
- Plague – Fever transmitted by fleas.
- Tuberculosis – Growth of nodules in lungs transmitted by air.
- Tetanus – Stiffness of jaw and other muscles; bacterial infection on wounds.
- Communicable and Contagious - Transferred from one organism to another directly
- Viral Diseases -
- Common cold – Running nose and fever; Spread through air.
- Measles – Fever and red rash; spread through air
- Swine Flu – Fever; Spread through air.
- Polio – Affects nervous system; Spread through the feces of infected person.
- Fungal Diseases -
- Ringworm – Small itchy round patches on any body part; Contact with infected person or their clothes through touch.
- Athlete’s foot – Itchy patches between fingers; Contact with infected person or their clothes through touch.
NON COMMUNICABLE DISEASES - Caused due to deficiency of necessary food components in the body. It is not transferred from one organism or matter to another organism.
- VITAMIN DEFICIENCY DISEASES
- Night blindness – Cannot see properly in dark – Vitamin A – Carrot, Papaya, Green Leafy Vegetables
- Beri - Beri – Affects systems like muscles, heart, nerves and digestive system – Vitamin B – Unpolished Rice
- Scurvy – Bleeding from the gums and swelling of the joints – Vitamin C – Lemon, Tomato, Green Leafy Vegetables
- Rickets – Bones become soft and they bend – Vitamin D – Sunlight, Milk, Fish
- MINERALS DEFICIENCY DISEASES
- Goitre – Iodine - Swelling of Thyroid glands causing a lump to form around neck – Iodized Salt, Cranberries, Shrimp.
- Osteoporosis – Calcium - Bones become weak – Milk, Egg Yolk, Saltwater Fish.
- Anemia – Iron - The affected person looks pale and tired – Spinach, Apple, Banana.
- PROTEIN DEFICIENCY DISEASES
- DVT – Deep vein thrombosis – Blood clot in arms or legs.
- Preventive Measure – Vaccination against Bacterial, Viral infections and Fungal infections.
- Curative Measure – Antibiotics (against bacteria) Medicines, Antiviral Medicines, Antifungal Medicines
Sunlight – Only non food item to provide a nutrient – Vitamin D
Cleanliness, Natural Light, Fresh Air, Exercise and Nutritious Food are the best safeguards against diseases.